Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

19 October 2011

Flower Child - by Sheila Deeth



I'm so thrilled to be able to welcome a special guest to my blog today - Sheila Deeth, who is here on this leg of her blog tour, to tell us the poignant story of how she came to write 'Flower Child', her latest book.

Over to you, Sheila
 
Flower Child started out with a memory sparked by words of a song. The song was John Denver’s Rhymes and Reasons, and the words were “the children and the flowers…” The memory was of a time when I was very small. Having heard, from my mother, that babies come from seeds, I somehow skipped listening to the mummy’s tummy bit and imagined those seeds in celestial fields with infants growing in flower-buds on heavenly vines.

But Flower Child continued with some darker memories of mine. When I first became pregnant I was so full of dreams—Megan’s not the only one who dreamed her daughter’s wedding before the baby was born. Although I didn’t carry my pregnancy even as long as Megan did, losing the unformed, unborn dream felt as real at the time as losing everything. People would comfort me with reminders there was probably something wrong with “it,” but I just imagined there was something wrong with me—failed mother, couldn’t even conceive properly.

By the time my original due date came round I was already pregnant with my son. I’m mother now to three wonderful young men, all healthy, all grown, and I’ve no idea why I’m so convinced that first child was going to be a girl. If anything were ever to happen to my guys, I’d mourn them far more deeply than I ever mourned that first pregnancy. But I still wonder, just once in a while, who would that baby have been?

Writing Flower Child gave me a chance to explore that wondering. Do unborn babies have souls? Do they have feelings? Do they continue to exist after death? And, most importantly to me, can unborn babies ever forgive the mothers who failed the task of giving them birth?

I’m not always sure where the characters I write about come from. They’re always quite insistent, when they talk in my head, that they’re not me. But perhaps they build themselves at the start from fractured parts of me… before they grow; before their stories grow. Megan might have come from the grief I left behind in the joy of my son’s safe birth, Angela from the dreams I invested in my child. Now their story’s done they have lives of their own that are nothing to do with me, except I’m the author who dripped their words to the page. I’m glad I’ve met them. I hope my readers might be too.

And the memories? I can touch them now without it hurting so much, so I guess the story helped.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, or on the internet at least, I stumbled on a lovely blog run by a lovely author,  Hywela Lyn. Being fairly new to blogging and all that, I left a rather nervous comment behind and was totally amazed to find it won me a copy of one of Aubrie Dionne’s ebooks. I read the book, loved the style, loved the length, loved the subject and looked up the publisher, Gypsy Shadow Publishing. So now Gypsy Shadow have published my third ebook, Flower Child, and I’m on my first ever blog tour. I’m very very grateful to Hywela Lyn,  not just for inviting me to post on her blog, but also for that unexpected prize that set me on this path. Thank you Lyn!

And thank you for sharing that bittersweet memory with us, Sheila, and it's an honour to have you as my guest, and to be part of your tour, it's the least I can do to thank you for your support of myself and other authors. I'm  a great admirer of Aubrie Dionne too, isn't it wonderful how we authors meet each other and make new friends through our love of the written word.

Wishing you many sales and great success with 'Flower Child' and I look forward to reading it myself when I can whittle down my TBR pile somewhat!

 
About Flower Child: When Megan miscarries her first pregnancy it feels like the end of everything; instead it’s the start of a curious relationship between the grieving mother and an unborn child who hovers somewhere between ghost and angel. Angela, Megan’s “little angel,” has character and dreams all her own, friends who may or may not be real angels, and a little brother who brings hope to her mother’s world. But Angela’s dream-world has a secret and one day Angela might learn how to be real.

Where to find Flower Child: http://gypsyshadow.com/SheilaDeeth.html#Flower

On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Flower-Child-ebook/dp/B005PGMT4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317398482&sr=8-1

on Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/91467




About the author:

Sheila Deeth grew up in the UK and has a Bachelors and Masters in mathematics from Cambridge University, England. Now living in the States with her husband and sons, she enjoys reading, writing, drawing, telling stories, running a local writers' group, and meeting her neighbors’ dogs on the green.

Sheila describes herself as a Mongrel Christian Mathematician. Her short stories, book reviews and articles can be found in VoiceCatcher 4, Murder on the Wind, Poetic Monthly, Nights and Weekends, the Shine Journal and Joyful Online. Besides her Gypsy Shadow ebooks, Sheila has several self-published works available from Amazon and Lulu, and a full-length novel under contract to come out next year.

Find her on her website: http://www.sheiladeeth.com

or find her books at: http://sheiladeeth.weebly.com










'STARQUEST' 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest) Dancing With Fate 'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'STARQUEST' 'CHILDREN OF THE MIST' (The sequel to Starquest) Dancing With Fate 'Freeread':'A BARGAIN WITH DEATH'