Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

8 March 2010

Mondays word:Snip




MySpace Graphics
"It's a snip at only £5, the bookseller said.

"What exactly," I hear you ask is 'a snip'

"Snip" here is a British slang term recorded from the 1920s meaning a bargain or something surprisingly cheap. "Snip" has had other - conflicting - figurative senses down the centuries, including a swindle or deception, a sure thing, an insignificant person, and an easy task.

I'm not entirely sure what its origins are, but I thought it was an interesting phrase which over here we use without really thinking about it.  Is this a term you are familiar with? Have you any idea how it originated?