Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

6 January 2010

Tamela Quijas

HL: I am reallyexcited to have Author Tamela Quijas as my guest today. (There is a brief pause while we wait for the thunderous applause to die down. Do Make yourself comfortable, Tamela, It's cold and snowy outside, but here, in my private starship, it's warm and dry, so have a hot toddie and some warm freshly homemade virtual Welshcakes and tell us a lttle bit about yourself.

TQ: I live in the Southwest of Texas with my husband and a combined brood of 7 children and 2 grandchildren. I was raised in Germany and came to the United States in 1987 to live, permanently. I am a huge fan of the paranormal, those fairy tales written by The Brothers Grimm and believe in the eternal Happily Ever After.

HL: I have to agree on both the Brothers Grimm and the Happily Ever After, Tam! When did you start writing?

TQ: I started writing when I was a teenager. I loved to doodle down stories that popped into my head and would spend hours in front of a typewriter trying to get my thoughts across.

HL: So what comes first: the plot or the characters?

Would you believe the plot? The characters seem to develop as the story progresses and, at that time, I let them have full control.

HL: That's interesting. Tell us about your latest release and what you think readers will enjoy about it

My latest release is Blood of the Beast. It's a paranormal romance involving a gritty and abrasive police detective, Valentina Kureyev, that has been assigned the gruesome task of locating a serial killer. The murderer has been randomly killing homeless men throughout her particular childhood neighborhood. She encounters, during the case, Professor Demetri Daskova, who has a side to him that is chilling and just as threatening as that of the killer she seeks.
I think readers that want a diversion from the normal paranormal may find it appealing.

HL: That sounds really fascinating Tamela - if someone were to play one of your characters in a movie, which character and what actor would it be and why?

TQ: I would have to say Alex O'Loughlin would have to play Demetri. I was a devoted fan of his television show, Moonlight. Alex portrayed such an appealing non-stereotypical vampire that wanted to be better than what he was.

HL: Good choice, and have you a favourite actor/hunk, besides Alex?

HL: Alex O'Loughlin and Gerard Butler, hands down.

HL: I think a lot of ladies will agree with you there, on both counts. What have you learned about writing since you were published that surprised you the most?

TQ:The sense of freindship between romance authors. They are a fantastic bunch of people (both male and female) that are always willing to extend a helping hand.

HL: Oh, I couldn't agree more. I've made so many on-line friends, and they are all so supportive.
Do you listen to music when you write and if so, what kind of music – or do you find it distracts you?

TQ: Music inspires my writing. Angel's Fire, Demon's Blood was the result of a stunning song that was on the tops of the charts earlier last year. Just listening to the words help develop the characters of Evangeline and Lucien until they, virtually exploded from the pages.

HL: Yes, I've had music inspire me too, sometimes it just starts an idea off or gives you the insight into a charater. So what is your personal definition of success?

TQ: Knowing that there is someone out there that has read my books, can 'see' the images I attempted to portray, and feels for the characters. It makes every sleepless hour I spent writing worth it.

HL: I think many of us feel tht way, it's wonderful to feel that the characters we loved and struggled to give life to are entertaining, or even moving readers out there.

Well sadly, we're nearly at the end of this interview, but is there any advice, as a new writer, that you were either given, or wish you had been given?

Patience! Nothing happens overnight and writing takes patience and persistence.

That''s so true, Tamela, we certainly do have to learn plenty of patience! Thanks so much for being here with us today, it's been fascinating finding out more about you.

Tamela Quijas loves to hear from her fans and fellow readers and writers and can be found at http://tamelaquijas.wordpress.com/ and at http://myspace.com/tamelaquijas


Blood of the Beast can be purchased at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002GP7YMY in Kindle Form

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Beast-Tamela-Quijas/dp/1442173351/ in paperback

Angel's Fire, Demon's Blood (published by Wild Horse Press) can be purchased at

http://www.amazon.com/Angels-Demons-Blood-Tamela-Quijas/dp/1441472770
in paperback & in Kindle Version at:

http://www.amazon.com/Angels-Fire-Demons-Blood-ebook/dp/B001RCTE6Q