Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

3 October 2009

Monday's Word - Abditory


This is another of those words I came across at Michael Quinion's* 'World Wide Words:

"abditory" according to Michael, " It's a hiding place, from Latin "abditorium",
a hiding place, whose source is "abdere", to put away or hide. It
appears in the story Instead of Evidence, in which explosive
devices were found in an abditory in a factory.

The Oxford English Dictionary notes its first example from 1658,
but it has never been in common use. Oddly, it is now more often
employed than at any time in its history, not only because of Rex
Stout but also by SF and fantasy authors, who have occasionally found it useful to help build a sense of otherness."

Well I have to admit I've never come across this word before, but next time my hero or heroine needs to hide something, they can secrete it in an 'abditory'!

By the way, the picture has nothing to do with today's word - I just like it!

*World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org