Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

31 August 2009

Monday's Word - Staycationmooning?

I think I have a strange sense of humour. As you know, I usually 'borrow' a word from Michael Quinion's weekly 'World Wide Words. This one caught my eye.

"The nearly-new neologism STAYCATION, for holidaying at home, has become almost as popular in the UK as it has in the US. Various British newspapers, short of news at this tag-end of the silly season, have this week reported receiving a PR e-mail from an online holiday company. It claimed to have seen a 41% increase in customers enquiring about honeymoons in the UK and a 448% increase
in enquiries over the last two years. Its press release was headed "Honeymooning at home - the rise of the STAYCATION-MOON". So much
derision has been poured on it that the likelihood of encountering STAYCATION-MOONERS or STAYCATION-MOONING seems thankfully slight."

Well, as a futuristic, fantasy writer this, caused me to visualise newly married couples leaving en masse for the moon - well I told you I had a weird sense of humour.

In fact, the term 'honeymoon' is said to originate from the tradition that the in-laws of the couple were required to supply a month's worth of mead or honey wine. Some say that it's because a newly married couple would be like the waxing and waning of the moon - that the heady passion of the first few days would gradually dwindle until they settled down into the routine of an 'old married couple.' Ah well, on seond thoughts I think it's doubtful I'm going to use the word 'stacation-moon' very much in my futuristic romances.


*Thanks to Michael Quinion of WORLD WIDE WORDS. World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org