Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

25 August 2009

Interview with D Renee Bagley

Today my very special guest is D Renee Bagbee.

Good morning Renee, welcome to my blog, please tell us a little about yourself.

DRB: I am an Air Force brat turned Air Force wife—married 7 years with two cats. The last born of three children, all of us Capricorns. As a military kid, I have traveled all over the world. I was born in the Netherlands, spent a few years in Japan, and then moved back to the states where I traveled up and down the southern East coast.

I love writing, reading manga and comics, watching most anything with vampires in it (True Blood WOOT!), and collecting random things that appeal to me at the time. I think my current obsession is cover flats but staple is manga. I’m convinced I’m one of the main reasons DMP is staying afloat since I buy ever book in their June collection as fast they publish them. Did I mention I’m a boy’s love junkie?

HL: Well you certainly find plenty to fill your time, Renee! LOL. Tell us a little more about yourself and your writing - oh and is there a reason why you use your second name?

DRB: My full name is D. Renee Bagby - I go by Renee because most people butcher my first name. I also write under Zenobia Renquist. My specialty is black heroines with non-black heroes in fantastical situations. I’m a world builder who loves torturing her characters on the way to happily ever after. I’m currently published with Samhain Publishing and Red Rose Publishing and I hope to add a few more publishers under my belt in the months to come.

HL: What comes first: the plot or the characters?

DRB: Definitely the characters. Actually, with me, most of the time the argument comes first. I will have a hero and heroine going at it in my head, out of the blue, and then I have to figure out who they are, what they’re arguing about, and how it led to the argument.


HL: Tell us about your latest release and what you think readers will enjoy about it (Here are a few details first)

Acknowledging Meirion by Zenobia Renquist
Red Rose Publishing
Science Fiction Interracial/Multicultural Romance (Mainstream)
Available in eBook and Print
Learn More: http://dreneebagby.com/ZR_Books_Meirion.html

DRB: This is my second book written under my alter ego. I wanted to write about a reality show that had a nature television twist. What did I come up with? An alien culture observing humans much the same way humans observe animals in the Sahara. It’s the most watched nature show in the universe and the star of the show just wants to be left alone.

Meirion is one of the few humans chosen to be observed. It’s not a bad gig except she has absolutely no privacy (unless she’s on the toilet), but the silver lining is that her cameramen are pretty too, especially Kiar. She’d love to get to know him better but his company has a strict no acknowledgment policy. He could lose his job and be sent back to his home planet if he breaks it. That doesn’t deter Meirion from trying. It’s a test of wills and neither Meirion nor Kiar wants to lose.

EXCERPT: (PG RATING)

The clock signaled time and he teleported.

Meirion stood in her bedroom with Eiliv and Niets watching her.

“Why are you here, Niets?” Kiar asked. Keeping the surprise off his face was a monumental task but he did it. He also kept his gaze on Meirion. She didn’t look angry, only determined.

“Based on a hunch, Eiliv summoned me. Meirion hasn’t protested my presence, so here I stay,” Niets answered.

Eiliv said, “For the first time, all three of us will be needed.”

“You know what she has planned then? I didn’t see anything on the footage.”

“I can guess and so can you. The superiors agree or they would have called Niets back.”

“Nothing will happen. Niets’s presence isn’t needed.”

“Are you three done talking?” Meirion asked. “I know you’re talking. Now, at least. I’m grateful I met Jor. He cleared up a lot. Not as much as I needed, but I can always email him later.” She looked at pointedly at Kiar. “Or I can ask you?”

She would have to email Jor, because he wouldn’t speak.

“We can do this the easy way, Kiar, or we can do this the hard way. It’s up to you. Just talk to me.” Her voice was pleading as she said the last.

He wouldn’t be swayed. Meirion may love him but that love was without understanding. She wouldn’t ask this of him if she did.

“Talk to her,” Niets said.

Eiliv said, “I agree. Even you are taking this too far. There are other options.”
“Not for me,” Kiar said in a growling voice.

Meirion stalked over to him and grabbed his hand. “Fine. If you want to be stubborn, we’ll do it your way. Just remember, I gave you the option.”

She pulled him over to the bed. Subjecting him to another round of masturbation, while torturous, was bearable. He had worried over nothing.

“Last chance, Kiar. Say something.”

“Don’t let her do whatever she has planned, Kiar,” Eiliv said.

Kiar ignored him and continued performing his duty, as he should.

Meirion rolled her eyes then shoved him hard. He fell back onto the bed, unable to stop himself because of the unpredictability of her action. She snapped a handcuff onto his wrist and then connected it to the bedpost.

“I love you, damn it, and some feeling—women’s intuition, gut reaction, whatever—says you love me, too. I’m going to make you admit it whether you like it or not.”

She undid his pants. Kiar knew he’d like whatever she did. He was already hard. But, he wouldn’t relent… he hoped.


HL: Powerful stuff Renee. So, have you a favourite actor/hunk?

DRB: Vin Diesel!!! You gotta love a man who can kickass and take names the way he does. I loved him in Chronicles of Riddick. I will watch that man in anything and doing anything—including reading the phone book. :P

HL: LOL! And here he is:

(There is a long pause for Renee and countles of Vin's fans to indulge themselves in drooling.)

HL: OK Renee, if you can bear to tear your eyes away from Vin, what have you learned about writing since you were published that surprised you the most?

DRB: I have to do more than write? O.O??!! No one warned me about all this promotion madness. And what do you mean I have to write a synopsis? I just signed on to write. I don’t remember reading a part that said “and other related duties”. *slump*

HL: *Grin* Yes, I think most of us can relate to that! :)


HLE: . What is your personal definition of success?

My personal definition of success is the fan who writes and lets me know they enjoyed my book and can’t wait for the next one. That makes me want to write more.

HLE: Is there any advice, as a new writer, that you were either given, or wish you had been given?

RB: As a new writer, I was told to vary my autograph from my signature and that is something I always pass on. You wouldn’t believe how many people don’t think of it. Heck, I didn’t until I was told.
To new writers I say, learn to take criticism. Agents, readers, editors… whoever. You may not like what they say but every little bit helps to make you a better writer. Especially listen to what your editor says. They are actively trying to make your book better.

HL: Wise words, Renee, and I hadn't thought about the signature being different to an autograph either, but then I use a penname, which even though it's comprised of my real first two names, doesn't include my signature so it's different anyway.

HL: Being an animal fanatic myself, I have to ask - if you were an animal, which one do you think you would be, and why?

DRB: I’m kind of biased at the moment since my current WIP is about dragons. :D So I would love to be an Asian dragon. Their majesty and beauty and power is so awe-inspiring to me. Now if you mean “real” animals, then I would have to choose a tiger. I love tigers. Probably for the same reasons that I chose a dragon. Matter of fact, I have a tiger-shifter story planned. :D

HLE: That sounds fascinating Renee, dragons and tigers - two very powerful animals, and the tiger-shifter sounds a bit different to the usual shifter stories. Well, I've loved having you as my guest, but it's nearly time to wrap the interview up. Thank you so much for giving some of your valuable time to be with us - and before you go can you tell readers where to find your books please?
RNB: To learn more about me and my books visit me here:
http://dreneebagby.com
http://zenobiarenquist.com

Wondeful, Renee, and thanks again