Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

5 June 2009

Real Life landscapes and their place in Fantasy ( Classic Romance Revival Blog Carnival)


Welcome to my entry in the Classic Romance Revival Blog Carnival. The theme is SETTINGS - SIMPLY SCENIC OR SPECIALLY SIGNIFICANT. I'm very excited to be part of this wonderful event.


If you've read my post on Monday at Classic Romance Revival, you'll know that the settings for both my novel Starquest, and the sequel Children Of The Mist were very important for both books. It was the same with my story in the Wild Rose Press's series 'Song Of The Muses'. For me, the setting is as important as the characters themselves. It's where the heroes and heroines live, breathe - and fall in love.

Although 'Dancing With Fate' begins (logically enough) in Ancient Greece, it swiftly moves on to 5th Century Wales. It's natural I suppose, that I should be so inspired by Wales, where I grew up and lived most of my life. Its mountains and lakes are beautiful and mysterious, and the country is full of its own myths and legends which add their own atmosphere to the landscape.


Much of the land is still wild and uspoiled and it was easy to picture it as it might have been sixteen hundred years ago. Why this time period? Well, I love the idea of living close to nature, without the hustle and bustle of modern living. There was another reason too - King Arthur was born around this time and some of the Arthurian legend is woven into my story. Many parts of Wales are named after him and his knights - for instance the name of the 3,000 ft mountain in Snowdonia, Cadair Idris is translated as The seat of Idris. or 'Arthur' As well as lakes and mountains, of course, Wales is full of spectacular waterfalls. A certain waterfall plays a very important part in 'Dancing With Fate'. The muses were, after all, water nymphs, and Terpsichore, the muse of dance, is no exception. In fact, she takes every opportunity to bathe in one, regardless of who might be watching!


Wales has inspired nearly everything I've written and for me, settings are vital not only to ignite the spark to write but to set the stage for my characters to act out their lives.


The festival is giving away prizes. I've contributed a PDF copy of ‘Dancing With Fate'. For all the other blogs in the carnival, and for more information about how to qualify for the prizes, see the

CRR BLOG

Thanks everyone - I hope you'll take part in the Carnival and enjoy visiting all the Blogs!


PLEASE NOTE:


This is a Classic Romance Revival GROUP event. You MUST have commented on EACH and EVERY blog in order to qualify for a prize.

Visit each of the blogs and leave your comment.


Don't forget to add your email and name so we can contact you if you're a winner!
You may comment more than once.