Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

22 June 2009

Monday's words, and other things

Do you like this picture. It's one I mocked up to represent a scene in 'Children Of The Mist' released last Friday (Can you tell I'm still excited?)
A bit of a mixture this week, but I have a few things I want to mention in this post.

MONDAY'S WORD:
With reference to last week's 'Word' Michael Quinion* states "several readers suggested that in some of the instances I cited of animals with names that include the adjective "bald", meaning "white" - especially "bald eagle" - it is really a shortened form of "piebald". He goes on to state that his references don't agree and that t"he term 'piebald is usually introduced to try to explain the origin ofthe more usual form." Hmm fasinating, especially as, to me, 'piebald means what we Brits usually call a black and white horse, any other colour and white (Like my mare T'pau) being termed 'skewbald'.
( I much prefer the American term 'paint' or 'Pinto' though, although these days they're breeds, rather than just colours as they used to be. )
NEWSLETTER WINNER
The winner of my newsletter members only contest was:
*drumroll* and excrutiating pause...................................
Sue A!
Congratulations Sue. Your prize will be on its way to you shortly. For those of you who are not subscribers to my Newsletter, I'll be holding a contest for everyone shortly.The prize is something pretty and unusual which I think you'll like. (Watch this space). Why not pop along to my website http://www.hywelalyn.co.uk/ though and subscribe to my Newsletter anyway, apart form contests I'll keep you up to date with what's going on in my world, but I promise not to inundate your in-box with mail or to spam you. (I hate spam myself) but I do try to make this 'occasional' newsletter fun and interesting.
GUESTBLOGGING
I'm also guest blogging at The Pen and Muse Blog today, pop along and say hello, if you get the chance, it's also a great blog to subscribe to, with reviews and author posts, etc. I'll be contributing to it a little more regularly from now on, if I can only get myself organised!


AND I'm also over at 'Chicks of Characterisation' ! I tell you folks, I may not be able to get around much in the real world, but I'm getting quite brathless from all the 'touring' in the virtual one - and I'm loving it! Thanks so much to all my lovely hosts.

*Thanks to Michael Quinion of WORLD WIDE WORDSWorld Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org