Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

11 March 2009

INTERVIEW WITH SKHYE MONCRIEF

HL: I am thrillled to be able to welcome to my blog today, my 'muse sister'and fellow Wild Rose Press author, the very talented writer Skyhe Moncrief. Welcome Skhye. Tell us a little about yourself.

SM: I'm a boring science geek. LOL. Straight out of the mouth of the world's biggest pessimist--I know! Seriously, I'm formally educated in both hard and soft science (geology and anthropology). For me, I'm am defined by my endeavor to master those interests. My three-year old daughter can rack up all the kudos in the world, and they are still hers. :) I only get credit for her outfits! Although, she's particular about which bow she wears...

Aside from being a stay-at-home mom, I write fantasy romance. Getting published since birthing a child has helped me maintain some semblance of an identity. Although, there are days where if I could only go to the bathroom alone... I'd be sane! Right now, I'm worried my monarch caterpillars will eat up the last leaf of milkweed in the yard and starve to death. I told you I was a science geek! We have 7 chrysallises and anxiously await the emerging butterflies.


HL: That all sounds far from being boring or 'gheekie' Skhye. (Is there such a word as 'gheekie'? and your daughter sounds delightful. I remember collecting chyrsallises when I was little. *sigh* my lost youth!)

OK, please tell us about your books.


SM: My Time Guardian series http://www.timeguardians.com is published by The Wild Rose Press. I'm most fortunate that the editors have enjoyed the stories. I currently have 4 stories available and one releasing April 3rd. I'm also most fortunate that the editors have worked with me to get the short novellas in print with the novels. HAUNTED HEARTS contains SACRIFICIAL HEARTS & NAKED ON THE STAIRCASE. THE SPELL OF THE KILLING MOON will be released in print May 1st with my April 3rd release, FORBIDDEN ETERNITY in SACRILEGIOUS SEDUCTIONS. Finally, HE OF THE FIERY SWORD is my once-upon-a-time-King-Arthur-was-a-time-traveling-shape-shifting-dragon tale. So, if anyone prefers the pricier print version, look for them at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Borders. :) Haunted Hearts and Sacrilegious Seductions both contain a Time Guardian glossary. ;)

Otherwise, I am so lucky to be a part of the same series with my gracious hostess, Lyn. My story, ANCIENT MUSINGS, is part of the SONG OF THE MUSES series. Calliope gets a new lease on life... One's darkness proves the other's light. And one should never tempt Zeus to force a muse into the deepest darkest pit of Hades to renew her purpose. http://www.thewildrosepress.com/ancient-musings-song-of-the-muses-p-841.html If you'd rather own a print copy, SONG OF THE MUSES BOOK 1 is available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Borders.

My free read is also available at The Wild Rose Press: http://www.thewildrosepress.com/vow-of-superstition-dragons-blood-p-840.html


VOW OF SUPERSTITION: DRAGON'S BLOOD

When legends speak of passion, Lady Lainy chalks all up to superstition until forced to take Dragon’s Blood at her arranged marriage. Will the beast’s poison herald a life full of love, or will she find myth loaded with lies when facing her father’s VOW OF SUPERSTITION?


HL: 'Vow of Superstition' is a wonderful free read, Skhye, and a great way for readers who haven't yet read any of your books to get a taste of your style and whet their appetites for more! I love your story in the 'Muse' series and 'He Of The Fiery Sword ' is an amazing story - and one of the most striking covers I've ever seen, too. Here's something I'm always interested to know about my interviewees: If someone were to play one of your characters in a movie, which character and what actor would it be and why?


SM: Ooooooooo, Jay Tavare would be cast as the hero in FORBIDDEN ETERNITY, soon to be released with WRP. He's a shape-shifting shaman. And Jay is just gorgeous. Now, you'll like this one, Dafydd Emyr would make an incredible Time Guardian too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZm2aUjsx0k


Let's just say Dafydd or Jay are definite hunks!!! But I'm torn between them and David O'Hara in Braveheart. Maybe it's hair? Or his attitude? I dunno. http://www.hotflick.net/pictures/995BVH_Mel_Gibson_078.html


Ooh, great choices Skhye. Unfortunately I only have room for one hunk so - although Dafydd Emyr is a countryman, and David O'Hara is so hunky too, I decided to go for Jay - I've a character myself he would be just perfect for!


What’s you’re writing process Skhye? Has it changed since writing your first book?


SM: My writing process is sit down and write very very fast. LOL. Then go back and analyze the story with a synopsis.


HL: *Grin" Not a 'panster' then! :)

Do you listen to music when you write and if so, what kind of music – or do you find it distracts you?

SM: Music with words distracts me. I'm okay if with instrumentals. No piano please!!! I love New Age. But no piano! Of course, piano is okay with other instruments. I'm a big fan of bagpipes, fiddles (especially Nordic), all sorts of Asian string instruments, base clarinet, and oboe. Japanese flutes are divine.


HL:What is your personal definition of success?


SM:Finally getting a book in print! I keep it on my bookshelf to remind me that anyone can get published if they hang in there long enough. I almost quit writing the first year after my daughter was born. I'm glad I didn't now!


HL: That would have been a terrible loss, Skhye. What is your favourite source of inspiration?


HL:My inspiration comes from documentaries. I'm a fact junkie. So, the more the better. Lately, I've been hooked on HOW THE EARTH WAS MADE.


I'm with you there Skhye. It's all part of the 'but what if?' syndrome I think!

If you were an animal, which one do you think you would be, and why?


SM:I'd be black. And I'd have fur. I actually answered this question in a 5th grade creative writing session in English. I love cats, wolves, and most mammals that are black. But I'd definitely go with a horse given I had to pick a creature. :) I've said this elsewhere. Horses are noble and beautiful beasts. Who wouldn't want to be one? Especially an Arabian! Or a Lippizzaner!


Oh, I so agree with you there Skhye. As a horse fanatic myself, I can't imagine anything that typifies speed, grace and nobility more than a horse. Especially a black one. (My black Welsh Cob Harry agrees too!)


HL: Well thank you so much Skhye. It's wonderful having you here today and finding out a little more about you.


If you'd like to find out more about Skhye and her books, this is her website:
www.skhyemoncrief.com

and her Blog: http://blog.skhyemoncrief.com

Details of all her books can be found on her page at The Wild Rose Press HERE

"Arthur is a masterpiece..." 4 hearts for He of the Fiery Sword's King Arthur ~Diane Mason; http://theromancestudio.com/reviews/reviews/fieryswordmoncrief.htm

"Intense, original, suspenseful, and dramatic... an unpredictable topsy-turvy romance... the suspense builds with every page in SACRIFICIAL HEARTS. In a world where symbols mean everything, magic is the way...." ~Snapdragon; http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.com/2008/05/review-sacrificial-hearts.html

"Master of her craft, Moncrief delivers an explosive plot, captivating, adventurous characters, and a healthy dose of sensual intrigue. A superb read, start to finish!" ~Author Sky Purington www.skypurington.com