Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

10 December 2008

INTERVIEW WITH ALISHA PAIGE

It's my great pleasure to welcome Alisha Paige to my Blog today.
Alisha has a full length release with The Wild Rose Press 'Canyon Wolf Bride' and I am thrilled and privileged to have worked alongside her and seven other equally talented authors, in 'Song Of The Muses', an anthology about the Greek muses, released by The Wild Rose Press this summer. Alisha's story is entitled 'A Love Beyond Time' and features Clio, the muse of history. The story is an amazing one and takes the reader (and the muse) back to the times of the Salem Witch Trials.

Hello Alisha, make yourself comfortable and tell us a little about yourself

I was born and raised in Texas. I had a vivid imagination as a child and would sit for hours in my tree, named Evol. Love spelled backwards. I was a very weird kid. I carved a hole in Evol and kept my ice cream money there in case the ice cream man came by. Raggedy Ann sat up in my tree with me while I read Nancy Drew books all day.

A few years ago, my parents had to cut old Evol down because she was dead. I cried that day but my mother called me and told me part of the trunk broke off and I had to see it. It’s now in my mother’s garden and is in the perfect shape of a heart. I never thought I’d mourn the loss of a tree but when I go visit, I can still touch a part of her.

Told you I was strange.

I don't think that's strange at all, what a beautiful and uncanny story and what a lovely memory of your childhood.

What do you do for fun when not writing, Alisha?

Sit in trees and read. Seriously, my three children keep me very busy. We go for long walks, afternoons at the park or a visit to Grandma and Papa’s. My parents are only five minutes away. My little ones are very spoiled.

When did you start writing?
I’ve been writing all my life but I started submitting my work for publication three years ago.

And what comes first: the plot or the characters?

I think for me, the plot usually comes first. I generally pick a setting first, build the plot around the setting and the characters usually just but in when they’re good and ready.

Tell us about your latest release and what you think readers will enjoy about it.
My latest release is Nocturnally Vexed, set in London. Vex Savaker is the leader of the Orgulocks, a hybrid breed of shapeshifter vamps in search of the modern day Jack the Ripper. I hope my readers enjoy the romance I’ve created as well as the twist on a legendary serial killer

That sounds fascinating Alisha. Tell me, if someone were to play one of your characters in a movie, which character and what actor would it be and why?

I would love to see Clive Owen play Pierus, my hero in A Love Beyond Time. Clive is known for his strong character roles and I’d love to see him making out with Clio, besides, he’s just such good eye candy. And I can’t forget his accent….sigh.

Great choice - and just by coincidence, guess who we have as 'HunK Of The Month'?

What have you learned about writing since you were published that surprised you the most?

I never knew there was a stigma placed on romance writers. We are not taken seriously because we write about love. To me, love is the most important thing on the planet and beyond. Because we write about the love between a man and a woman, many consider our work “fluff”. That really bugs me.

That's certainly true, I wonder why it is? For me the best romances, certainly the ones I've read from The Wild rose Press Authors, have very strong plots and story lines, and are a great deal more than 'fluff'.

What’s your writing process? Has it changed since writing your first book?
I really don’t have a process. I write by the seat of my pants with a very vague notion of where to go but if I sit down to write, I always get there. No, it hasn’t changed much except I have shorter periods of writing because I have a new baby.

Do you have a support system? Did you have a writing community? What valuable lessons have you learned from them?

I attend writer’s meetings with my local RWA chapter for various workshops and book signings. I’ve learned much about the market via this group.

What is your personal definition of success?
Success to me is not measured by money but by dreams. When I see someone reaching for their dreams, taking risks, living life to its fullest, that’s success to me. I’m a true believer in Carpe Diem and strive to make my own dreams come true.

That's very true, Alisha. Making ones own dreams come true has to be the ultimate definition of success.

What is your favourite source of inspiration?
I’m very inspired by the love stories of other people. Since I write romance, I love to hear of couples that have been through difficult trials and tribulations and have stayed together through thick and thin.

If you were an animal, which one do you think you would be, and why?
I’d be a cat so I could lounge in the sun all day, stretch and yawn and just adore my beautiful self all day. Cats are such snobs and seem so regal. I’m tired of cooking, cleaning, laundry and never having time to myself. I’d love to be treated like a princess with my fish served on a silver platter.

Oh yes, cats are so elegant and independent - yet somehow they seem to make sure the humans they own give them the best of everything!

Thank you so much for joining us today Alisha, it's been a real pleasure learning more about my 'Muse sister'.

You can learn more about Alisha Paige at her WEBSITE
or her BLOG