Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

17 December 2008

INTERVIEW WITH FELICITY HEATON


I have the great pleasure of welcoming Felicity Heaton to my Blog today.

Good morning Felicity, would you like to tell the readers a bit about your self and your books?

I write romance ebooks in various genres as Felicity Heaton, including paranormal romance, romantic suspense, historical pirate romance, historical western romance, and contemporary romance. As F E Heaton, I write the Vampires Realm novels--vampire romance / dark urban fantasy ebooks. I also have plans to write a series of dark fantasy ebooks based on my Tri-Kingdom, which was featured in Darkness & Light.

I'm a great believer in love at first sight and the romantic ideal. Having grown up reading extensively, I developed a deep love of classical literature, ranking Jane Eyre, North & South, and Persuasion amongst my all time favourite reads.

The most romantic moment of my life was when my husband got down on bended knee on the steps of Sacré Coeur, Paris, at night in front of several hundred spectators and proposed. I was too drunk on love, and subsequently champagne, to care about the audience. All I could see was the man that I loved.

A writer of emotion and life, I always strive to touch a chord of familiarity in my readers and give them characters they can love and a read to remember.

I couldn’t agree with you more about love at first sight Felicity. I believe it happens all the time. And that proposal by your husband must surely qualify as one of the most romantic of all time.

Tell us a little more about your writing and how you started

I’ve always been a creative person, most of my family are in some way or another, but it was mostly directed at drawing and that side of the arts. I’ve read a lot of books in my years, most of which were when I was much younger. Back then, I was reading classic romance novels such as Jane Eyre, Persuasion and North & South, alongside stories by Edgar Allen Poe, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, and H P Lovecraft. I think that’s where my paranormal romance trend unwittingly began. A few years back in 2005, a friend of mine convinced me to take a shot at writing original fiction and since then I haven’t really looked back. I’ve written stories in all genres, but always come back to the paranormal. I’ve always dreamed of vampires and demons and all things fantastical. I think that genre is where my heart lies.

Readers can find out more about me and my stories at my websites. I cover all of my books at my main site – http://www.felicityheaton.co.uk – and I have the Vampires Realm series site too where readers can go to learn more about the series, characters, world and books – http://www.vampiresrealm.com

I also have my blogs which readers can visit and find out what I’ve been up to or what I’m working on now. I have a MySpace – http://www.myspace.com/felicityheaton - and a blogger – http://felicityheaton.blogspot.com

Wow you’re one busy lady, Felicity, and I see your taste in paranormal reading is very similar to my own. So, what do you do for fun when not writing?

In the little time off that I have, I like to play Playstation3, read books about writing, watch anime, read manga, draw my characters as manga, and learn Japanese. Oh, and I love travelling!

You certainly have a wide range of interests. Tell us, when did you start writing?

I actually started out writing fanfiction way back when and it progressed from there into something a little more serious back in 2005. A friend of mine who I now co-run Alinar Publishing with convinced me to take the leap into writing original fiction and I’m glad that I did. I really love to write and I don’t think that I’ll ever grow bored, or run out of ideas!

It's great when friends have enough faith in us to convince us to take that 'extra leap' isn't it? So what comes first: the plot or the characters?

It really varies. I’ve had books where it had been the characters first. They’d just barge into my head and announce themselves, and then their story would follow. Other times, it has been the plot that has come first. I’d get a bolt of inspiration from somewhere and my mind would be off at a million miles an hour to conjure up conflict, things that could go disastrously wrong, things that could go incredibly right, and all the little bits in between.

Tell us about your latest release and what you think readers will enjoy about it.

Seventh Circle is the story of Lincoln, Chosen Son of the Vehemens bloodline. He has a problem. Not only is he caught up in a contract between his Lord and the Devil, which if it is fulfilled will see him die, but three witches took a look at his future and told him the name of a woman who will save him. It turns out she’s a vampire hunter! Lilith was raised by Section Seven, an elite organisation of vampire hunters. She has dedicated her life to eradicating demons and, since her sister was killed by one, feels nothing but hatred towards vampires. On the same night that she watches her best friend Jackson die from a vampire attack, she’s told that she has her first paying client. Great, until it turns out that he’s not only an attractive young man but a vampire! Reluctantly working together to unravel the mystery of the contract before it comes to pass and Hell is unleashed on Earth, Lilith and Lincoln fight their feelings for different reasons. When Lilith is mortally wounded in a vampire attack, Lincoln refuses to let her die and saves her life. Lost in the haze of her blood, he utters words that place a claim on Lilith, a bond that is only possible between vampires. Lilith is drawn into Lincoln’s world when revelations about her heritage and Section Seven shatter her own. When Lincoln faces the guardians of Hell in a last attempt to save the world and Lilith, she must find the strength to face her own demons and save the man she loves... but how far is she willing to go?

Seventh Circle is part of the Vampires Realm series, but is a stand alone story. All of the stories in the series are only connected by the world they’re set in, and the occasional character cameo, so they can be read in any order. The ebook is out with Alinar Publishing and is available on Fictionwise.

That sounds a great series, and I like the idea that they're all 'stand alone, connected by their own unique world. I wish you continued success with these books and I'm sure you'll be writing more. So, Felicity, what is your personal definition of success?

When it comes to stories, my personal definition of success is hearing that people have enjoyed the story, and that perhaps it has struck a chord with them or they’ve really grown to love the characters in it. That’s success for a writer—knowing that a reader felt everything that you intended them to.

Book information

Title: Seventh Circle
Author: F E Heaton
Genre: Paranormal romance
Publisher: Alinar Publishing
Release date: 16th November 2008
Length: 106,000 words
Link: http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook76262.htm
Blurb:
Dark, sensual and fast-paced, Seventh Circle is a story of forbidden love so strong that it will save the world.

Born with strange powers similar to a vampire's, Lilith has spent her life hunting demons for Section Seven. Now, on the very same night that she watches a vampire kill her best friend, she's faced with her worse nightmare.

A client who is not only attractive, but a vampire.

Lincoln, a powerful pure blood vampire, has a problem. The prophecy he's caught up in is coming to pass and his only chance of survival is relying on those he hates most–vampire hunters. It has been foretold that one will save him, a female hunter, and when he meets her, the attraction he feels is both instantaneous and forbidden.

Their mutual attraction becomes difficult to deny as they work to unravel the mystery of a contract between Lincoln's lord and the Devil. The barriers around their hearts fall, but is there only pain ahead of them? With Lincoln's life on the line, can Lilith find the strength to protect him and embrace a side of herself that she wished didn't exist? Can Lincoln overcome his fear in order to save Lilith even if it means parting from her forever? What price will they pay to be together?

Excerpt

Lincoln trailed his fingers across his bare chest.

“I know you want to feel it.” His senses locked onto Lilith’s heart, revelling in the staccato rhythm it had adopted. A rush of adrenaline entered her blood, sending the scent of it into the air through her overheating flesh. She was either embarrassed, or his words held some truth and she wanted to touch him. Another push. “Just reach out and touch. I can see the questions in your eyes, Lilith. Is it cool, hard? Would you feel a heartbeat? Would I feel your touch, feel pain if you scraped your nails down it... feel pleasure?”

Her cheeks blazed and her eyes widened. She went to turn away. He was beside her before she could move, his hand tight around her wrist. He couldn’t let her get away when it was just getting interesting.

Taking the mug from her other hand, he placed it down on the counter away from them, his movements slow so he didn’t draw her attention away from his eyes. He drew her towards him. Her fingers shook in his. Her breath trembled uneasily, quivering with her racing heart. Her dark gaze fell to his chest and she slowly wet her lips with the bare tip of her soft pink tongue. He stared at her mouth, mesmerised by the motion of her tongue against her lips, and then snapped himself out of it.

This game was turning dangerous for them both. It didn’t matter. He couldn’t stop now.

He had to see what would happen.

“Surrender to it,” he whispered, voice smooth and convincing.

Her fingertips barely grazed his skin and he was on fire. His eyes half closed as he absorbed the sensation of her warm caress heating his body. He hadn’t expected this. He clawed back a modicum of control, telling himself this was just a game to annoy her, to make her feel weak. It shouldn’t make him feel this way.

Her eyes were wide, her pupils dilated as she stared at her fingers where they traced patterns on his chest. She was lost. He could smell the hint of arousal, the alluring pheromones coming off her.

He breathed in a voice of temptation, “Imagine what it is like to kiss me.”

Her gaze burned him, trailing fire over his body as it rose to his mouth. He stared at hers, imagining the silky glide of her lips against his and the brush of her tongue, the warmth of her.

“Imagine what it is like to be kissed by me.” He smiled to reveal his extended fangs.

Wow, what a brilliant excerpt, gives me chills! I wish you loads of sales with this, Felicity, and thank you very much for sharing your books and a little bit about yourself today.