Welcome to my place in the blogosphere! Fasten your seatbelts, sip a glass of something sparkling and chat awhile!

If you'd like to know a little more about 'Yours Truly' - I've been interviewed HERE

19 June 2008

STEAM FAIR

It's summer (or so they say) and vintage car and steam rallies are going on all over the place.

I'm not sure why, but I have always had a fascination with steam. I don't go to as many steam rallies now as I used to, but I always used to go to one of the biggest, at Bishops Castle, and I loved to see my old favourites, including a massive showmans wagon aptly named 'Goliath'
I used to see 'him' at events all over the country and 'he' was massive. The flywheel itself was about 8' high (I'm 5' nothing', so it dwarfed me).


The village steam fair my husband and I visited at the weekend was not a large one, but it was well attended with a good turnout of steam vehicles and stationary engines. No heavy horses at this one, but there was a gun dog demonstration as well as a display of ferrets. Real country stuff, but it was the steam giants most of us had come to see and it was wonderful to see the lineup of these magnificent workhorses of yesteryear.












































There were several steam driven barrel organs as well, which provide a background of delightfully old fashioned music.














It was fun to see the miniature fully working stream engines. The children enjoyed themselves immensely riding behind these scaled down replicas, complete in every detail, even down to tiny buckets.


Some of the exhibitors stayed overnight - and a few of them brought their own caravans.










If you've never been to a steam fair, do go if you get the chance.It's a great family day out.